Friday, October 16, 2009

If I had been given the chance to speak...

Thank you for allowing me this opportunity to publicly express my opinion in favor of the Phoenix Temple.
My husband and I were married in the Seattle, WA Temple over 22 years ago. We set a goal that day that we would attend the temple as frequently as possible. We made a commitment to each other and have kept it. And our lives have been blessed immensely.
My family and my faith are the most important things in my life. There isn’t anything I would not do for my family and my faith. I cherish them both more than anything. I will do whatever it takes to protect and defend them both. Anyone who knows me will attest to that.
I was taught by my parents the importance of the temples and I doubted not.
I have spent the past year teaching children ages 3 – 11 about the importance and significance of the temple. How it can bless our families and make us stronger.
I was so elated when I heard that we would have a temple in our own neighborhood. Oh what JOY! This is simply amazing!
I know that building a temple here will bless our community beyond our comprehension. Our community will thrive.
It is a known fact that every community that has been fortunate enough to have a temple in their midst has been blessed.
There are members of our faith who do not have a temple close to them and they will save their money, take time off work without pay and spend days traveling up to thousands of miles just so they can attend the temple and receive the blessings.
I hope this gives you an indication as to how important these temples are to us.
My husband and I have lived in several states and travel all over the world. We have seen some beautiful creations. But nothing is more beautiful to me than these temples. How grateful we are for them.
I am most definitely, whole-heartedly in favor of building the Phoenix Temple.
Thank you for listening.

4 comments:

Team Burtenshaw said...

I found myself in the same situation as you :)... Thank you for sharing your words here. Honest and powerful. You are a great example!

Pam said...

Well said.

I would love to share my first hand experience of living less than a block from a temple. The temple was and is beautifully kept, clean, quiet and peaceful. It was a lovely setting to take my infant child in her stroller daily. Her introduction to colors came as we passed by varieties of flowers, carefully kept year round.

Normal, day to day temple activity never posed a traffic problem. Temple service is inherently different from regular worship services and doesn't result in large crowds coming and going at the same time.

Will the illumination of the temple and the structure itself change the mountain view for the residents closest to it? Yes, but the church will abide by the ordinances and codes set by the city. The plans for lighting are well within the dark sky ordinances in effect for this area.

Residents closest to the temple will be affected by it's presence and it's difficult to know what that will be like. I can tell you from my personal experience living close enough to see the temple from my front door, it was a source of beauty and serenity. The temple was asset in our neighborhood in it will be in this one also.

Trevlyn said...

What a beautiful testament to the beautify and importance of these sacred buildings!

Amber said...

I am inspired by how involved everyone has become. It will result in such a blessing.